[ << Back ]
Naked Photos of Mikhail Baryshnikov are available at MaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.
who appeared with Mikhail Baryshnikov on screen:
Birthday: January 28, 1948
Place: Riga, Latvia, Soviet Union. [now independent Latvia]
Height: 5' 7"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in) for
Mikhail Baryshnikov. If you have any corrections or additions, please email
us at email@example.com.
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
| Born in the former Soviet Union, dancer/actor Mikhail Baryshnikov came to ballet at the advanced age of 15. Because of his extraordinary leg-muscle strength, he was permitted to join Leningrad's Kirov Company, in which he worked his way up to featured soloist. During the Kirov's Canadian tour in 1974, Baryshnikov disappeared for several days, and when he resurfaced it was in the United States he asked for political asylum. The decision had as much to do with aesthetics as ideology; in Russia, even a ballet star could only go so far socially and financially. Baryshnikov joined the American Ballet, but later in what was considered a controversial move, he switched to George Balanchine's New York City Ballet. The reason was simple: Balanchine had strong links to musical comedy, and Baryshnikov was a lifelong fan of such American musicals as Oklahoma, West Side Story, and even Where's Charley? This devotion would later be manifested in a well-received 1980 ABC television special, Baryshnikov on Broadway. In 1977, the dancer made his American film debut in The Turning Point (1977), the most successful ballet-themed motion picture since The Red Shoes in 1948. For his down-to-earth acting as much as for his unquestioned dance skills, Baryshnikov received an Oscar nomination. That he quickly adapted himself to the Hollywood lifestyle was evident in his private life; he fathered a child by actress Jessica Lange, who ultimately moved on to a long-term relationship with actor/playwright Sam Shepard. Baryshnikov did not spare himself in his work as he grew older, and magazines frequently featured close-up photos of his battered knees and ankles. By the very nature of his reputation, he did not lend himself to being cast in "normal" film roles, and his best film showing outside of The Turning Point was in White Nights (1985), in which he played a ballet star who'd defected from the Soviet Union only to be kidnapped back into his homeland. The film wasn't exactly like real life, but it did allow him to trade steps with famed American dancer Gregory Hines — and even permitted Baryshnikov to dabble in Errol Flynn-style acrobatics in his efforts to elude the Soviets.
- Ballet dancer turned actor
- Father of four children. He lives together with girlfriend Lisa Rinehart. Owner of ballet troupe, "White Oak Dance Project". Hobby is golf. Baryshnikov's and Jessica Lange's daughter first name is Alexandra.
- Following his defection in Canada, the first ballet troupe that he performed with was the Royal Winnipeg Ballet Company in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
- Mikhail was a 2000 recipient of the John F. Kennedy Center Honors.
- Children by Lisa Rinehart: Anna Katerina, Sofia Luisa and Peter Andrew.
- Has his own clothing line: "Baryshnikov", plus his own perfume brand: "Misha".
- Danced with the Bolshoi Ballet, the American Ballet Theatre and the New York City Ballet.
- Was artisitic director with ABT and even ran his own class outside of ABT - Mikhail Baryshnikov's School of Classic Ballet.
- Was romantically involved with legendary ballerinas Natalya Makarova and Gelsey Kirkland.
- Frequently attended legendary New York disco Studio 54.
- Was nominated for Broadway's 1989 Tony Award as Best Actor (Play) for "Metamorphosis."
- When he met Jessica Lange, he spoke little English. Fortunately for him, Lange spoke French, which he could speak fluently.
- Daughter Shura (Alexandra) Baryshnikov, whose mother is Jessica Lange, graduated from Marlboro College in Vermont, the same college that Chris Noth attended in the 70s. 
- He had a romantic relationship with fellow Soviet defector as prima ballerina absoluta Natasha Makarova. She was eight years his senior. She ended it because of this fact and when she needed him back as a sympathetic shoulder to cry on, Baryshnikov was already involved with another young ballerina named Gelsey Kirkland.
- His name in English means "Michael."
- He was awarded the American National Medal of the Arts in 2000 by the National Endowment for the Arts in Washington D.C.
Naked Photos of Mikhail Baryshnikov are available at MaleStars.com. They
currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.